Tuesday, April 19, 2011

News and projects, the more I travel the more confused I am

I thought traveling was going to make things clear for me. In what sense? Well, at least in the sense of where I want to settle, eventually.

It seems like it's not the case, the more I travel, the less I know where to stop. I came to China for six months, I'm in the middle of my second semester,and already thinking about renewing my visa for the second time.

Is it China? Yes, it's China. The Red Dragon, after making me almost run away, now doesn't want to let me go. Is it only China? No, it's not. It's East Asia.

So far I've only traveled around China and India, but I'm planning to visit more countries of this fascinating region of the planet.

What is East Asia doing to me? Hard to say, but here I feel inspired, tireless, creative. I know I have been pretty silent on this blog, but I'm regularly updating my new site Chasing The Unexpected with my new travels, while Travel Calling will still be the place for the quirky aspects of my life as an expat, and, I have to say, East Asia offers invaluable "quirky" angles.

I, of course, am trying to understand myself why I'm finding East Asia so intriguing, maybe the simple lifestyle, maybe just the challenge of living (and traveling) in such a different society from the one I was used to, and probably even studying Mandarin, incredibly hard and beautiful language, all things that are contributing in making this experience much more charming than I expected.

It's probably not a mystery by now, but I have no intention of going back to Europe (yes, of course I'm going to see my family and friends, I didn't become crazy with all this inspiration!). I still don't know how I'll sort out the legal stuff, but as I'm gradually sensing here, in China everything is possible.

13 comments:

Genni said...

Well nice to hear you sharing your feeling. I travelled I bit but in different way and I don't know how is moving almost all your life...

AngelaCorrias said...

Hi Genni, thanks for commenting :)

Living as an expat has its positive and negative aspects, like all things. In my opinion, the positive ones outnumber the negative, certainly the things you can learn by spending a year abroad are priceless.
Some people like it, some people don't, but I think it's a very enriching experience, and I'd suggest anybody to have it at least once in a lifetime.

crystal said...

nice to hear you sharing your feeling. I travelled I bit but in different way

Siddhartha Joshi said...

This is really nice to know, I hope you get your visa renewed in China! Its been on my wish-list for so long too...

abundance tapping said...

I have also been to different countries and most of the time I do have positive and negative comments about the places that I have been to. But each person has their own thoughts as what your trying to say, as for me the good thing in being able to have privilege of visiting the countries that I have been to is that I left a mark on the people that i have been with. That's what you call self fulfillment.

Anxiety Cause said...

The good thing about travelling to different countries are the memories that you keep within you that gives you joy. Yes, travelling will really cost you an arm and a leg but the experience is priceless.

everthenomad said...

I know what you mean by the more you travel the more confused you get. I sometimes get the same feeling about my constant wanderings. I fall in love with places, and flirt with the idea of moving there, then another places seduces me, and yet another... And it just goes on and on like that, and never seems to stop.

AngelaCorrias said...

True, I even keep moving from country to country, and although so far it hasn't been a problem, I can't see myself leaving China, at least not yet, but I know that I would love to try to live in other areas such as the Middle East. I'll just have to cope and go ;)

Bluegreen Kirk said...

Honestly I think it would be the case for most people if you continue traveling more and more places will be appealing. I think you can just be 100% happy with one location. You may have a home location but feel that different places offer different aspects of life you enjoy. I would love to stay in Bora Bora but to be honest that too far from friends and family to stay all year round.

Online Hotel Booking Jaipur said...

nice said...

Joel Tillman said...

I just got back from teaching for a year in South Korea and I can agree with you on almost every aspect. Living in the far east Asians does indeed change you. Most of the time for the better. It's just something about living alone in the Far East away from anything familiar that makes you feel like you have a fresh start on your life again.

Have you given any thought to teaching in Korea or Japan?

AngelaCorrias said...

Hi Joel, thanks for commenting.

I had actually thought about teaching in Asia, both for supporting myself and for the experience, that is always enriching, but my travel writing is keeping me very busy, so I didn't really have the time for that. Although I do think it's a great experience, and I would love even to write about that in my own site.

Joel Tillman said...

@ Angela

I was full time under contract for a year but I met plenty of people who were just passing through and taught a few hours here and there privately. Private English lessons are such a high commodity here that I never had to look for after school work. In Seoul it might be harder as the greatest concentration of teachers are there but if you marketed yourself even on craiglist you would have no problem finding very part time work. I know it works the same in China, HK, Japan as well.


And if you ever want a "guest blogger exchange" talking about the Asian experience let me know :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Share this