Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Travelling through Ireland

Although I've lived in Dublin for two years, I admit I haven't travelled extensively throughout Ireland as much as it deserves. I have been to the Irish west coast and it's truly stunning. It was pouring, but this is normal, although I would have preferred to stare at those landscapes with the sunshine.

Galway is a very lovely picturesque town and people's warmth confirms the dogma of the Irish friendliness. My friend and I had lunch at a small restaurant, before jumping on the coach for the Aran Islands. Needless to say, it was pouring, and when I got on the boat I was soaked.

On the boat I got sick, and once in the island (we chose Inis Mor, the biggest one), we rushed to the b&b, barely able to see around us, due to the heavy rain. We only had a weekend, and didn't manage to see much. Of course, this is a good reason to go back, maybe around May or June, in the hope of a greater cosmic cooperation.

My ideal trip in Ireland would be travelling through all the west coast. I would go to the first car hire at Cork Airport and then start journeying from Cork, passing by County Kerry, going up to Galway and Aran Islands.

I would stop here a couple of days to have the opportunity to better visit the area and especially the Cliffs of Moher that I missed last time. Just past Galway I would definitely stop in Connemara and in County Mayo, before getting to Donegal, very famous for the unforgettable sceneries and the constant bad weather.

I can't wait to visit the area, get to know the Celtic traditions Dublin is losing and listen as much Irish music played live as I can.

5 comments:

Shannon OD said...

Sorry to hear that the weather was so bad on the Aran Islands...that boat trip must have been pretty terrible :( But I'm glad your not giving up though because if you make it for sun, it's amazingly picturesque. Oh! And your ideal trip sounds just like mine - though I've done a lot of the West Coast I can't wait to go back and spend more time in the small towns :-) It's just such a lovely side of Ireland.

AngelaCorrias said...

Small towns are sweet indeed, and have retained much of their Celtic traditions I so desperately looked for in Ireland. I hope I'll catch good weather next time, I NEED nice pictures ;-P

Perth Hotels said...

I love to go to travel in a small town and go to boat trip.

Stephen Hartshorne said...

Dear Angela,
I loved the West of Ireland:
http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/0606/west-ireland.html

AngelaCorrias said...

Hi Stephen, I loved it too, although I've only been once and didn't manage to see much. I'll certainly be back in the warm season to enjoy the region!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Share this