Friday, April 10, 2009

Iguaçu, see and experience the largest waterfalls in the world

Your journey in pursuit of the most memorable emotion ends in South Brazil. Because around the town of Foz do Iguaçu it’s all a matter of emotions. The stunning view of the Iguaçu waterfalls will seize your imagination and stay impressed in your memory long after your visit.

I have to admit, when I went to Iguaçu I was waterfall-virgin, I had never seen seen a waterfall before, not even a local small rivulet running down a rock. No wonder why then I was so enthusiastic at the idea to see my first real waterfalls.
Although my expectations were already remarkable, however, the natural phenomenon I was about to stare at went far beyond my imagination.

Coming from Italy, I’m used to beautiful architecture and all sort of artistic expressions, but at the Iguassu Waterfalls you face directly the majesty of nature, without men's intervention. As soon as we got off the plane, we were welcomed by a colorful band of local drummers and samba dancers and driven to our hotel. To fully enjoy the spectacular waterfalls, we booked a two-day tour, the first to be spent on the Brazilian, to have a more complete overview of the scene, and the second one from Argentina, “to experience the waterfalls,” as Arlindo, our local guide, proudly told us.

Getting up at 7am is not exactly what I mean by “holiday,” but our bus gave us appointment at 8am at the hotel reception, and no delay was allowed. The day was about to kick off and I was ready to make to most of every single moment. Both from the plane, when we were approaching Foz do Iguaçu airport, and from the bus while reaching the longed spot, we managed to steal a brief, introductory glimpse of what we were about to admire from all perspectives, making the overall thrill rise.

When we finally arrived, it took us only a moment to realize that the spectacle was by all means up to the expectation.
Over 60,000 cubic meters of roaring water fall over an enormous canyon ever
y second. The waterfalls elegantly stand there, aware of their gigantic and powerful beauty, in a spectacle of colors, lights and reflections. I started wondering about everything, for the first time really conscious of how the mankind is powerless in front of the forces of nature.

Despite the many tou
rists walking and analyzing the waterfalls from every corner, all I could hear was the sound of the water crashing against the rock. During the tour on the Brazilian side we jumped on a boat and got near the waterfalls. “Keep a weather eye on your cameras, they might get wet,” said the pilot. You bet they did, we ended up right under the most violent flow of water I had ever seen and all I could hear was screaming tourists along with the sensation of cold water coming through the flaws of my ki-wai. Needless to say, at the end of the boat tour we were soaked.

They say that on the Brazilian side "you see" the waterfalls, while in the Argentinian one "you experience them." As far as I was concerned, I had already "experienced" enough, and I didn't quite catch what they meant. The following day we were on the Argentinian side and, although we didn't go underneath the flood, we managed to get very close, we could almost touch the water and feel its power.

The organization for tourists was impressi
ve, with themed trains traveling inside the forest, guides showing us the local flora and fauna and shops, restaurants and facilities around every corner. I must confess, I love Brazil, so I was already "biased," but I think the natural bliss of Brazilian people have added charm to Mother Nature's job.

3 comments:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...

Hi friend, peace...
Your blog very interesting. If you willing visit or follow my blog please, "Sosiologi Dakwah" at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com

Mark @ TravelWonders said...

Your first waterfall was probably the greatest of them all. What a selection.

AngelaCorrias said...

Yes, I was surrounded by water everywhere, and the guide said they were not even at their best!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Share this